From: Ernie Makris (ernie_makris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-09 08:45:34

>Eugene Karpachov wrote:
> >
> > 9 Apr 2002 05:55:49 +0400 Ernie Makris wrote:
> > > It would look like the following:
> > > log << log_debug << log_format("%e %1") % "config file not found";
> > ^^^^^^^
> >
> > Please not that ugly format string again! Streams was invented to get
> > out of this cryptic, type-unsafe and processor-time-consuming feature,
>
>[snip]
>
>That's exactly what the format library was designed for, isn't it?
>It's usage is typesafe and it allows for those nice and handy format
>strings.

I agree, the format library is definitely a step above ordinary printf
style format strings. But, using a formatter would not be a hard and fast
rule. I think it should be allowed to just say:
  logger << "foo: " << foo << "bar: " << bar << "baz: " << baz;
OR
  logger << log_format("foo: %1 bar: %2 baz: %3") % foo % bar % baz;