From: Ernie Makris (ernie_makris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-09 08:52:45

>From: Gennadiy Rozental <rogeeff_at_[hidden]>
>To: boost_at_[hidden]
>Subject: RE: [boost] Proposal: Logging library
>Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 20:45:20 -0700 (PDT)
>

> >> coupled with the work being done with the format
> >> library
> >> by Samuel Krempp.
> >> It would look like the following:
> >> log << log_debug << log_format("%e %1") % "config file not found";
>I used to prefer ostreams style. But it should not matter. Anything should
>work.
>

> >> where there would be a log formatter that would have extra format
> >> specifiers.
> >> For example, the %e above could print the errno for a failed file
> >> operation.
>
>I mean that tracing stream should know about errno?

The log_format object would know about errno. Take a look at ACE
http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html The logging framework in ACE has
built in format specifiers to output the current thread id, errno, etc... I
think it may be of value to provide something similar.
Of course, this is all open to discussion.

Thanks
Ernie