From: Brad King (brad.king_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-10 15:16:43

> >CVS supports checks like this on a per-commit basis. If you add a file
> >called "commitinfo" to the CVSROOT directory on the server, you can get it
> >to run scripts to test each file and optionally abort the commit.
>
> Wow! That would be a lot better than finding out long after the fact.
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Does anyone know if SourceForge supports this, and how to go about it?

You can go to the top-level directory of your boost checkout and run this
command:

  cvs co CVSROOT

This will give you a working copy of the CVSROOT directory from the
server. I just tried it in boost, and it looks like the commitinfo file
is already there, but empty. You can edit the file here to add the
precommit check line. Committing changes to this directory will re-build
the server-side administration database.

I suggest a line like

  ALL $CVSROOT/foo/bar

and let the script do its own filtering of the files to test.

The only problem left is where to put the script. It can be checked in,
but there has to be a server-side checkout of it somewhere. At my
company, we run our own CVS servers, so we just commit the scripts right
in the CVSROOT directory, and then copy them into that location on the
server.

Be VERY careful when editing the commitinfo file. If you add a check
script that doesn't exist, the server assumes the commit has failed.
This will prevent you from even checking in fixes to the commitinfo file
itself!

-Brad