From: William E. Kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-17 13:11:42

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete Becker" <petebecker_at_[hidden]>

> I don't think it's possible to design a threading library today that's
> reasonably safe for use by beginners but powerful enough to be truly
> useful, despite twenty years of attempts to find multi-threaded
programming
> models that work. Time spent trying to do that could be better spent
elsewhere.

True. There are numerous places where beginners will still struggle even
with simple applications where Boost.Threads has no problems being used
today. However, I think the interface is much safer then that given by
traditional C APIs, for instance, and reduce the number of errors that the
beginner would make considerably. I think this is a valid, and important
goal for Boost.Threads. The problem arises when safety prevents (efficient)
solutions for any problem that may occur. In such cases, the goal of safety
can't out weigh the goal of usability. So, in the end we may just expose
the lock/unlock operations in the public interface... but before then I
think it's appropriate that we explore safer solutions.

Bill Kempf