From: Daniel Frey (daniel.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-06-27 02:06:52

Dietmar Kuehl wrote:

> The version you posted addresses the array related portion of my
> original <array.h> header. I think this is fine and it is probably reasonable
> to put this forward, finally removing this library at least from the "beta"
> section (the other two libraries are apparently also adopted but are more
> complex and probably need some time before they can be reviewed).
>
> However, I also want to point out that the header addressed another
> issue which I still consider important to bring into wider use but probably
> with a different name: The approach of using member functions may be
> reasonable for containers to integrate with STL but this is not always the
> case and actually impossible with arrays. Thus, I recommend the use of
> non-member functions, eg. functions 'begin()' and 'end()', to use a
> consistent approach. The header I originally provided addressed this by
> having generic version using the member functions and a specific version
> for arrays.

As I already said, I don't consider it a good idea to create a new style
of how to use the STL. Even inside the STL, replacing one container with
another isn't as easy as you'd wish, but I know you know that :) If it
is still important for you, would you consider separating it to another
header/library? This new header could work as a wrapper only, the
functionality will be placed in the current 'old-array-only'
"array_traits.hpp". That way we are free to concentrate on array here
and the new library can concentrate on providing a consistent interface
for *all* containers and arrays, thus creating the new style of usage.

In one of my last posts, I said that I identified two objectives for the
library that are important to me. I'd like to add a third one, which
might clarify the problem once again:

c) Provide compile-time access to array attributes

This obviously clashes with STL containers for ::size.

Regards, Daniel

--
Daniel Frey
aixigo AG - financial training, research and technology