From: Lars Gullik Bjønnes (larsbj_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-02 09:32:41

"David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> Sure I am all for the careful introduction of patches and new code, it
>> is the current practice that only the library owner should answer that
>> I after.
>
| Should a developer give you some answer even if he doesn't intend to do
| anything with your patch?

Sometimes, yes. If nothing more than to say that the patch looks ok,
but that I have to get in contact with the library maintainer to get
it included.

| Perhaps you and Bjorn could work together to figure out what an appropriate
| reaction might be.

>> | That's always appreciated. Which libraries have you sent patches for
| other
>> | than regex?
>>
>> limit, thread, lwm ... compile warnings etc.
>> (what is this? some kind of a test?)
>
| No, I was curious. I wanted to know if responsiveness (or lack thereof) is
| correlated to particular library authors.

| What is lwm?

light weight mutexes stuff
(small stuff)

| compile warnings is not a library -- did you send this information about a
| particular lib?

Sometime just in a larger patch that "fixes" all the compiler warnings
I get.

>> Yes, how?
>
| I suggested you ask *yourself* <.5 wink>

I am kindo on the wrong side of the fence...
But if you see a way to require me to behave in a certain way to get
fast responses, please do tell.

>> No but it is annoying....
>> Actually it seems that the problem is almost more present for the
>> small obvious patches than larger ones.
>>
>> f.ex. adding cpu defines to detail/limits.hpp
>
| That was easy. Unfortunately, Jens has become so busy in the past year that
| he almost never posts here anymore, so that may explain why nobody
| responded earlier. Perhaps you would like to take over maintenance of
| limits.hpp (if Jens agrees)?

I am not really the right person for this... I have too little time to
maintain what I maintain already (www.lyx.org).

| I think you should be more forgiving of such minor incoveniences,
| especially from an all-volunteer organization, and most especially when
| we're already taking steps to address the issue (by appointing a
| maintenance wizard).

I am pretty forgiving... I _am_ a maintainer for a all-volunteer
project already so I get the same bickering that you have got from me
now... (and no, I do not like it either).

>> btw. Having the gmane list<->newsgroup as a read-only gateway does not
>> help.
>
| It's not a read-only gateway, but the posting address does have to be
| subscribed to boost (using "nomail" if you don't want to get mail). People
| post through gmane all the time.

Hmm... my posts never get there... strange.
My mails only get through when posted to boost_at_lists.boost.org.

--
	Lgb