From: Paul Mensonides (pmenso57_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-06 13:34:59

> Some general comments:
> * I would like to make Comeau C++ boost-friendly, and would like ideas
> to such an effect (notwithstanding the below, I don't have anything
> specific in mind, and as such, this is just an open-ended statement).

Preprocessor speed! In many cases, we've had to bend over backwards to work
around the speed of Comeau C++'s preprocesser (and EDG's in general).
Specifically, most everything in the preprocessor library, and many things in
both the Python library and the MPL--those are just the ones that I know of.

When the MPL is finished, it is likely to be a much more commonly included
library than the Python library (or the preprocessor library) for normal
projects. Right now, we are having to provide pre-expanded files to include if
the preprocessor is from EDG.

Any examples that you need to reproduce this behavior I can provide in quantity:
pmenso57_at_[hidden]

Other than the speed, I otherwise like the functionality of Comeau C++'s
preprocessor. It works like it should (unlike both Metrowerks and VC at this
time) and is predictable.

small question...

Peprocessing in non-strict mode (on Win32) can be significantly faster (though
not *fast*) than preprocessing in strict mode. Why is this and what is the
difference?

Paul Mensonides