From: Rene Rivera (grafik666_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-06 13:28:00

[2002-07-06] Greg Comeau wrote:

>Hi! As mentioned to many folks at the Curacao meeting, once 4.3.0
>settled down, we would be spending lots more time looking at the various
>libraries out there, including Boost. As such, I've revisited boost.org
>for the first time in a while, and have the following comments:
>
>Some setup questions/thoughts:
>* In http://www.boost.org/tools/build/index.html#Tools it mentions
> como for Windows, but it doesn't mentioned como for any other platforms
> (Linux, Solaris, etc). As well, it seems VC++ specific (there are
> now a 1/2 dozen additional backends available -- it's still beta until
> 4.3.0 is released, but it's been so for ~6 months, so it's rather
> settled now).

That's because we only support what we (include yourself here also) can get
our hands on, and at that only stable releases. If there is no contribution
for compiler support from anyone then there isn't support.

>* I'm not sure what http://www.boost.org/tools/build/como-tools.html
> represents, but suspect that it needs corrections. If somebody
> could elaborate what is expected of that URL, I'd be glad to provide
> revisions, especially now that new versions of Comeau C++ are more
> automated, have new capabilities, etc.

It represents what the build system (Boost.Build) currently supports as
configuration variables. These are not what the compiler supports, i.e. not
environment variables. Therefore this would only change if the toolset
changes.

[snip]
> Also, is this bjam'ing procedure different for different platforms,
> or does bjam recognize what platform it is on? (IOWs, invoking
> como can be slightly different for different platforms, and so I'm
> unclear how that's recognized programmatically, or described in your
> documentation.)

Right now as far as I can tell the como support is Windows sepcific. Take a
look at the .../tools/build/como-tools.jam and tell me if that's true...
after all you are the expert on Comeau C/C++ ;-)

We'd welcome changes and updates to the como tools support from anyone,
especially from you. And I'd be willing to help, as it's my responsibility
to help in the Boost.Build cause :-)

We have a separate list just for discussing this particular topic so that we
don't polute the regular Boost list too much...

jamboost_at_[hidden]

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera_at_[hidden] - grafik_at_[hidden]
-- 102708583_at_icq - Grafik666_at_AIM - Grafik_at_[hidden]