From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-07-11 04:22:36

I'd prefer to turn that upside down.

The proposed constants are as accurate as can be represented
for all foreseeable Floating point formats
(40 decimal digits, more than enough for 128 bit Floating point).

The compiler is reposible for converting the decimal digits
into the best representation possible for the floating point format
in use (float, double ...)

It is up to the sin and cos (and other trig functions) to try to provide a
result which is as good (that is within one least significant bit (ULP)).

Using the accurate value may lead to backward incompatibility,
(in which case don't do it perhaps)
but is an investment for lack of trouble in the future.

Paul

PS there are of course dozens of other constants.
Pi is only a simple example - a prototype for others.

Dr Paul A Bristow, hetp Chromatography
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]