From: William E. Kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-13 14:03:14

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Woodruff" <Eric.Woodruff_at_[hidden]>
> So, it seems exception hierarchies are not feasible unless the abstract
type
> provides a clone () method. We could possibly implement cloning wrappers
for
> std::exceptions and then unwrap them at the other end.
>
> For user exception hierarchies, they would have to follow the same clone
()
> semantics.
>
> How often does a user need to support entire exception hierarchies across
> threads?

Is it ever useful to know what the exception type is in this case? I ask,
because it seems to me that there's no way to recover in this case, and the
only reason for propogation is to give some possibility for a clean exit
instead of an abrubt halt. If you can't recover, then what need is there
for knowing the exception type?

Bill Kempf