From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-08-13 14:01:46

At Tuesday 2002/08/13 08:02, you wrote:
> [...]

The only language deficiency I see (and it's a show stopper) is the lack of
a way to specify an atomic set/test.
Since an atomic set/test is necessary for synchronization, and an atomic
swap can be used as a set/test, I was just commenting that its inclusion
may suffice to solve the problem.

> > as an aside, I _detest_ coding to the "lowest common denominator" which we
> > appear to "have" to do.
>
>It's not a "lowest common denominator" issue. The problem at hand here is
>undefined by ALL the APIs, as well as the C++ standard.

And we're refraining from defining something because we fear that the
"Gazorninplatz IV" compiler/library won't be able to what we specify. For
reasons I don't understand, "lowest common denominator" seems to be the
idiom when in fact we should be saying "greatest common denominator".

> > >If you can define what's erroneous, let alone how it's erroneous, then
>the
> > >accusation is baseless. Believing I'm wrong is not the same thing as
> > >proving I'm wrong.
> >
> > no kidding.... OJ isn't in jail.
>
>You're being a little adversarial again. Work with me, not against me.

You've got me quite puzzled here. I have no idea how you misinterpreted a
statement that is equivalent to "I absolutely agree" into something that
appears adversarial.

> > > You could reword what you just said as an opinion, and I
> > >wouldn't object (though I'd still ask you to do the leg work to prove me
> > >wrong), but as it is you're not stating opinions but accusing me of
> > >something you can't prove. That's a baseless accusation.
> >
> > Ok, it is my opinion that there is nothing in the standard (that has been
> > presented thus far) that would preclude implementing the separation of
>call
> > and return to/from a function via a thread mechanism, and that furthermore
> > exceptions _could_ be passed back when the return from the function was
> > instantiated.
>
>And this is what I think clinches that you don't understand the issue at
>hand. I never claimed there was anything that precluded the separation of
>call and return to/from a function via a thread mechanism. Or that
>exceptions could be passed back when the return from the function was
>instantiated. I claimed that the concept could not be applied _to the main
>thread_, because that results in an explicit call to terminate(), possibly
>with out stack unwinding, no less.

Since it is _illegal_ for a user to "call" main() (thanks for pointing that
out, tho I'm puzzled at the committee's thinking here), I don't see why
this is relevant.