From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-09 14:36:41

From: "Rozental, Gennadiy" <Gennadiy_at_[hidden]>

> > Your Boost.Test page is behaving strangely on IE 6.0 under
> > WinXP. When I
> > first arrived there, the page had a gray background and a
> > border. One click
> > on that annoying animated menu and it turned white forever.
> > So much for
> > de-facto standards and portable code.
>
> It's intended behavior.

Much too cute then. It's disturbing and distracts from the purpose of the
page: documentation.

> To access menu you do not need to click on the menu
> root. Click is used for different purposes. I designed 2 styles/layouts
for
> the docs. One with gray border, second more simple white style if you do
not
> like first. Click on menu root toggle between them.

Another example of poor UI design - it's a function hidden behind someting
which seems to do something else. I click on something that looks like it
should bring up a menu and instead it changes the style /and/ brings up a
menu. Thereafter I'm confused about what changed the style.

See, I don't want to waste any more breath arguing with you about why stuff
like this doesn't work. Designing a bad UI with pure HTML takes a lot more
effort.

> I store user's choise
> and stick to the prefereed style always. It may not be the bast way to
> toggle - I just did not find better.

Just do something simple. That would be better.

> Also "white" style does not have
> "optional" menu - it should be present always (if it not this way I will
fix
> it).

I don't know what "optional" means, but it still animates.

> I hoped that white style will fit for the users with more austere
> preferences.

The "standard" Boost style is more austere, and lacks funky JavaScript UI.

> While I for example would prefer gray style. And again
> Javascript allows me not to force any style on anyone.

You're forcing all that animation and weirdness on everyone instead!

Over and out,

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting