From: Sam Partington (Sam.Partington_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-23 03:45:46

Personally I would love to see a sockets library implemented in boost. And
I know the topic is brought up from time to time. I've been working on one
myself for a while, but I consider it far too incomplete to consider
submitting it. (For one thing, it misses out UDP and IPv6 completely).

Your sockets library looks very interesting, and after a fairly short
perusal of the source these are my first thoughts:

- I think its missing include wrappers to adapt a socket into a class
derived from basic_streambuf< > an invaluable addition to any sockets
library I think, and its only a hundred lines of code or so.

- socketClass::send / recv, sendto / recvfrom in sock.h. The 'variadic'
argument passing method of using a map of strings to void * arguments seems
unneccessarily complicated and inefficient. Not to mention type-unsafe.

- small point, why does basicException not derive from std::exception?

The second library also looks interesting, but I've not had time to look at
that in depth yet.

Sam

<snip>