From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-09-24 20:35:15

At Tuesday 2002/09/24 12:32, you wrote:
>--- "Victor A. Wagner, Jr." <vawjr_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > Let's start with I'm a more than a little miffed at what I've found. At
> > whom my miffedness should be directed is unclear.
>
>Hey, no reason to be upset. Things grow, and what was acceptable 10 years ago
>is slowly becoming unworkable: sticking include files in a "global namespace."
>[deleted]
>Here is what you do:
>
>- Convince the C and C++ standard folks to move everything into the "include
>name space std"; e.g.:
>
>#include <std/stdio.h>
>#include <std/vector>
>
>Doesn't that look neat?

yes it looks neat (tho I'd use <std/cstdio>)

>- Convince the Python folks to move everything into the "include namespace
>python"; e.g.:
>
>#include <python/codecs.h>
>
>Other than that I am not sure what to do. The bjam toolsets play sophisticated
>tricks with include paths. Maybe you can learn something by looking at these
>files?

well, we need _some_ notation for "with the stuff I'm playing"... on
systems that have directories, that would mean the "current
directory". For many years we were happy with "filename" meant look in
the "current directory" then other places... <name> meant look other
places (maybe not the same other places at "name").

"_simple_ to do simple things..............................possible to do
all things"

the first part of that is important...we shouldn't burden everyone because
some abstruse requirement exists for 0.0003% of the human population.