From: Miroslav Silovic (miro_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-10-25 10:02:11

John Maddock wrote:

>Accepted, but this is like saying that I don't want my C++ compiler to
>support features that I never use (cause the program files are too big),
>both are interpreters at the end of the day. As Andrei says to can do this
>with preprocessing, but it sure is a pain...

The real issue is that regexp library can (and therefore should) be
fixed for real - installing a few virtual methods could prevent the
whole code from being reinstantiated. I'm saying that the size gain is
more than worthy the small speed loss.

And I really (as in, *REALLY*) don't like static linking. To me, the
micropain of dealing with POSIX regexps (and just calling C) is pretty
much the same as the micropain of setting up the Makefile.am - I
wouldn't bother with either if I can help it. :)

    Miro