From: Dirk Gerrits (dirk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-18 11:48:52

David Abrahams wrote:

> Robert,
>
> As review manager I'd like you to consider this very carefully. As
> much as I dislike XML for the hype that surrounds it and for its
> unweildy syntax, it has become a very important standard for many
> jobs, especially serialization. I believe your assessment that some
> data structures can't be represented using XML is incorrect, and
> that's easy to prove. A serialization library which makes generation
> of XML output difficult is severely handicapped in the modern world.

Robert,

there is an xml_pickle module for Python which can serialize any Python
object to and from XML. C++ is a whole different language of course, but
I do not believe it is unreasonable to assume that similar techniques
could be used for C++ data structures.

And Dave says it can even be proven. Which one of you is right, I don't
know. But if either statement can be proven, I'd say show us some proof. ;)

Dirk Gerrits