From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-11-26 16:25:35

"Paul A. Bristow" <boost_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Does the "as is" really add anything that the sentence doesn't already
state?

> "This software is provided without express or implied warranty,
> and with no claim as to its suitability for any purpose."
>
> seems clear enough "as is"!

I think the problem is that the entire clause can be viewed as disclaiming
warranties against patent infringement/copyright violation/etc. The
question is whether it is possible to protect both library authors and
potential users. I don't see where else the buck can get passed. Perhaps
a special clause that the software does not infringe on any known
patents or copyrights, but comes with no other warranties? I have no idea
what the legal status of such claims are, however.

Dave