From: Augustus Saunders (infinite_8_monkey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-13 16:36:10

Fernando Cacciola wrote:

>And pointers have historically been used to deal with optional
>objects precisely because they model this concept.

I think this is important, and so I want to dwell on it for a moment.
 For many years, if a programmer needed optional functionality, she
used a pointer. There are a large number of existing libraries and
APIs that use pointers to convey exactly this notion. A pointer is
essentially a defacto standard for this usage.

Consider one more time, why do iterators look like pointers? I
wouldn't be surprised if a similar discussion took place back in the
day: