From: Dave Harris (brangdon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-12-20 17:05:37

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:19:27 -0500 David Abrahams
(dave_at_[hidden]) wrote:
> As I understand it, reflection means the ability to
> discern the structure of language constructs.

In some languages it is not just reading. It includes the ability to
interact - to assign to variables, invoke functions, create instances of
classes. Even to add or remove new variables, functions and classes.

I probably shouldn't say much more about this because reflection isn't
something I'm aware of needing in C++.

> > (However, I can see that some components of a serialisation library,
> > such as the mechanism to register object factories, ought to be
> > sharable with a reflection library.)
>
> Hmm, how does an object factory relate to reflection?

Whatever we call it, the ability to defer choice of the exact created type
until runtime has utility beyond serialisation.

-- Dave Harris