From: Douglas Gregor (gregod_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-20 17:04:27

On Monday 20 January 2003 01:44 pm, Beman Dawes wrote:
> I guess I'm still unsure how the generated HTML docs are going to be
> integrated with the rest of the web site and CVS.
>
> My understanding was that the docs in formats other than HTML would go on a
> separate web site, but that the source and HTML would be on the regular
> site. I assumed that also meant they would be in the regular CVS.
>
> --Beman

I'm going to assume that library documentation for a particular release is not
changed after the release. This is the way we do things now---www.boost.org
has the library documentation for 1.29.0. When we release 1.30.0, it will
have the 1.30.0 documentation and won't change until we release another
version. So here is the suggestion:

The documentation source (BoostBook format) will be in CVS. Whatever the
stable documentation from the last release is, it will be on the regular site
(www.boost.org). On another site (currently www.cs.rpi.edu), there will be a
nightly script that keeps an up-to-date CVS tree and regenerates
documentation in various formats (including HTML) from CVS. The main page at
www.boost.org would look something like this:

  http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~gregod/boost/index.htm

Instead of a single "Documentation" link, we have a link to the documentaiton
for the most recently released Boost version, which will be to a local copy
of the documentation (e.g., doc/html/libraries.html or libs/libraries.htm).
The documentation is static---it may have been generated for the release, but
it won't change after that. The second link, "CVS", will always go to
www.cs.rpi.edu/~gregod/boost/doc/html/libraries.html (or wherever the nightly
documentation generation puts the result).

If a user is using Boost from CVS and wants a local copy of the HTML
documentation, they should download boost-doc-html.tar.gz and extract it in
the same place they checkout Boost CVS. Then the first link under
documentation (for the current version) will reference the documentation they
download.

        Doug