From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-21 17:58:12

> [...]
> Don't know anything about this plink stuff. What's the point?

It's an ssh client for use in automation. It doesn't have the interactive
output that a normal ssh client would have.

> > [...]
> > after a few seconds I'm stuck there: there is no output but plink.exe
> > keeps running...

When you first log into a new machine, it sends some authentication
bytes to validate that it is who it says it is. ssh needs to know that you
accept this string. Plink won't show you this message, so you should
log into the server manually, using putty, so that you can accept the
string. That may or may not be the problem.

> What the heck is plink?
> Forget about that; all you need is cvs -d:ext:...

On Windoze? With WinCVS? With ssh authentication? I'm curious
to know how you do that without plink or something similar.

Dave