From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-21 17:28:15

"Fernando Cacciola" <fernando_cacciola_at_[hidden]> writes:

> ----------
> Attempt 1:
> ==========
>
> If I run putty.exe with pageant running with the key loaded,
> and configured as:
>
> Host Name: cvs.boost.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/boost
> Protocol: SSH2 (Port 22)
> Autologin: fcacciola (which is my SourceForge User ID)
>
> and click on 'Open', I'm asked for the password.
> If I enter my SourceForge account password, I get a message saying something
> like:
>
> "welcome to SurceForge.net. This is a restricted shell.
> You cannot execute anything here."
>
> And the conncetion is automatically closed.
> So PuTTY is a dead end...

No, that's the expected behavior. You CAN'T stay logged in to that
account. The attempt to login is all you needed to do to create your
home directory.

> ----------
> Attempt 2:
> ==========
> If I run WinCVS configured as:
>
> Authentication: ssh
> [
> with settings for:
> "plink.exe (or putty.exe) -v -ssh -i<keyfile>"
> or
> "plink.exe (or putty.exe) -v -ssh -l fcacciola -pw
> <my-password>"
> ]
> Host Address: cvs.boost.sourceforge.net
> User Name: fcacciola
> CVSROOT: fcacciola_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost
>
> I Select optional.hpp and choose 'Add selection', then I get:
>
> NEW CVSROOT: fcacciola_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost (ssh
> authentication)
> cvs add optional.hpp (in directory
> C:\Libraries\boost\Repository\boost\boost\)
> cvs95 add: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password
> cvs95 [add aborted]: Error reading from server cvs.boost.sourceforge.net:
> 0
>
> Sometimes I get:
>
> cvs [server aborted]: "add" requires write access to the repository
>
> instead of "Error reading from ..."

Don't know anything about this plink stuff. What's the point?

> ----------------
> Attempt 3:
> ==========
>
> In a DOS box:
>
> plink.exe cvs.boost.sourceforge.net -l fcacciola -pw <pass>
> cvs -d:ext:fcacciola_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost -z3 add
> optional.hpp
>
> after a few seconds I'm stuck there: there is no output but plink.exe keeps
> running...

What the heck is plink?
Forget about that; all you need is cvs -d:ext:...

HTH,

--
                       David Abrahams