From: Fernando Cacciola (fernando_cacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-01-21 17:44:38

> "Fernando Cacciola" <fernando_cacciola_at_[hidden]> writes:
>

> > ----------
> > Attempt 1:
> > ==========
> >
> > If I run putty.exe with pageant running with the key loaded,
> > and configured as:
> >
> > Host Name: cvs.boost.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/boost
> > Protocol: SSH2 (Port 22)
> > Autologin: fcacciola (which is my SourceForge User ID)
> >
> > and click on 'Open', I'm asked for the password.
> > If I enter my SourceForge account password, I get a message saying
something
> > like:
> >
> > "welcome to SurceForge.net. This is a restricted shell.
> > You cannot execute anything here."
> >
> > And the conncetion is automatically closed.
> > So PuTTY is a dead end...
>
> No, that's the expected behavior. You CAN'T stay logged in to that
> account. The attempt to login is all you needed to do to create your
> home directory.

OK.

> > ----------
> > Attempt 2:
> > ==========
> > If I run WinCVS configured as:
> >
> > Authentication: ssh
> > [
> > with settings for:
> > "plink.exe (or putty.exe) -v -ssh -i<keyfile>"
> > or
> > "plink.exe (or putty.exe) -v -ssh -l fcacciola -pw
> > <my-password>"
> > ]
> > Host Address: cvs.boost.sourceforge.net
> > User Name: fcacciola
> > CVSROOT: fcacciola_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost
> >
> > I Select optional.hpp and choose 'Add selection', then I get:
> >
> > NEW CVSROOT: fcacciola_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost (ssh
> > authentication)
> > cvs add optional.hpp (in directory
> > C:\Libraries\boost\Repository\boost\boost\)
> > cvs95 add: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password
> > cvs95 [add aborted]: Error reading from server
cvs.boost.sourceforge.net:
> > 0
> >
> > Sometimes I get:
> >
> > cvs [server aborted]: "add" requires write access to the repository
> >
> > instead of "Error reading from ..."
>
> Don't know anything about this plink stuff. What's the point?

According to the docs I've read so far, plink.exe/putty.exe
is windows equivalent to unix 'ssh'.

> > ----------------
> > Attempt 3:
> > ==========
> >
> > In a DOS box:
> >
> > plink.exe cvs.boost.sourceforge.net -l fcacciola -pw <pass>
> > cvs -d:ext:fcacciola_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost -z3 add
> > optional.hpp
> >
> > after a few seconds I'm stuck there: there is no output but plink.exe
keeps
> > running...
>
> What the heck is plink?

The doc for :ext: says that I need an 'ssh' program to handle the
authentication.
It says that I can use: "set CVS_RHS=/xxx/plink.exe" (or putty.exe);
or invoke them directly as a pipe righrt before 'cvs'

If I run cvs directly as:

cvs -d:ext:fcacciola_at_[hidden]:/cvsroot/boost -z3 add
optional.hpp

It outputs:

CVS.EXE [add aborted]: cannot start server via rsh: No such file or
directory

--
Fernando Cacciola