From: Brian Gray (briangray_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-02-13 21:04:13

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 12:08 PM, Jason House wrote:
> * How easy will support for SCTP be to work into the boost socket
> library? ... and how easy would the interface be to use?

I looked at the docs on www.sctp.de and downloaded the source, and the
fatal flaw seems to be what I found in adaptation.c. It appears both
the routing socket and the sctp socket are built on raw IP. At least
on Linux, Darwin, and Windows NT/2000, you need root privileges to open
one of these. Thus, the daemon to handle the protocol will have to be
installed by and run as an administrator, and will therefore not be
usable by many clients who do not control the machine they use.

I think a UDP-based implementation rather than a raw IP-based one would
do as well (with some wasted overhead) and not need admin privileges or
the cooperation of the operating system manufacturer to get installed.
Does anyone know if there is a UDP-based implementation?

  -- Brian