From: Terje Slettebø (tslettebo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-13 02:19:17

>From: "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]>

> At 07:40 PM 3/12/2003, Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:
>
> >The recent patch to lexical_cast.hpp causes problems under Mac OS X/gcc
> >3.2.2.
> >The error message appears at the top of:
> >
> >http://cci.lbl.gov/boost/results/1047512220/dailylog_coral_test
> >
> >.../boost/boost/lexical_cast.hpp:92: `wstring'
> > undeclared in namespace `std'
> >
> >This worked before:
> >
> >http://cci.lbl.gov/boost/results/1047490620/dailylog_coral_test
> >
> >(There are some other unrelated problems on this platform.)
>
> The same code also caused problems for Win32 GCC, Intel, and VC++ 6.0.
I've
> added a quick fix for lexical_cast.hpp line 92, which cleared a lot of the
> problems, but not all of them.
>
> See
> http://boost.sourceforge.net/regression-logs/cs-win32-RC_1_30_0-diff.html
> AFAIK, all the new fails are because of lexical_cast.hpp use.
>
> I've already privately emailed Kevlin and Terje, but given time zone
> differences they may not see the messages right away.
>
> This sort of last minute snafu reinforces Ralf's earlier message; it
really
> isn't good software development practice to sit on changes for months, and
> then try to get them working after a branch for release.

Not to mention getting a brand new version to work right away. The new
version of lexical_cast is Kevlin's own, which he recently made, not my
proposition. I think his version is better, though, as it's much shorter and
removes duplication. At the moment, it doesn't work well on MSVC 6, and
apparently has problems on other compilers, as well.

Regards,

Terje