From: Daniel Frey (daniel.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-17 18:22:24

Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
> Daniel Frey wrote:
>
>>>Still looks broken over here:
>>>
>>>http://cci.lbl.gov/boost/results/1047901021/dailylog_win32_vc60
>>
>>I think it's OK to revert the patch to get 1.30.0 out,
>

> Which patch? John said the changes that caused the disturbance were
> never intended to be checked in.

Sorry, by "patch" I meant the CVS update from 1.5 -> 1.6/1.7.

>>but for the
>>future, I think we should keep in mind that it's actually is_function
>>that is broken and needs to be fixed AFAICS.

I'm still wondering what happened. Please check everything what I say,
as I already made too many errors wrt type-traits:

John added the test for is_function to the code that was intended for
compilers that don't have partial specialization - which is why it
failed as is_function needs partial specialization to work with
references. But is_class also calls is_reference, so it seems that this
does work, thus I think an implementation could be possible. But there
is another point: AFAIK the GCC does support partial specialization,
right? Given that this is true, the change in CVS can't fix something
(as it is not used for the GCC) or the config for the GCC is broken - or
I missed something obvious (again) :-} Even if we don't take the last
point into account as it was maybe just an overlook from John when he
accidentially committed the code to CVS, it's still the question whether
is_function could be "fixed" given that is_reference seems to be
available for compilers without partial specialization.

> If it was easy enough it would be fixed long before the release. In any
> case, I would be strongly opposite to sticking in a new implementation
> just now. It's bad enough "the patch" got us delayed for more than a
> day.

I don't really wanted to suppose changes that defer the 1.30.0, I just
tried to find a way to work around the lock-problem of SourceForge. OK,
I think I should leave it to the experts now... :)

Regards, Daniel

--
Daniel Frey
aixigo AG - financial training, research and technology