From: Trevor Taylor (xju_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-19 05:45:36

As a software user I am frequently frustrated by "an error occurred"
like failure messages. As a developer I know that the software *knows*
exactly what failed, why, and exactly what it was doing at the time, but
doesn't pass any of this information on.

Recently I developed some C++ where for the first time I was happy with
the information reported in error cases. The key to happiness, it
turned out, was to collect "context" with exceptions as they propogated
(back) up the call chain.

I would love boost to provide an exception class/framework/something
with this capability to encourage collection of context information,
which would make problem diagnosis so much easier.

Perhaps I could relate some of my experience and put some ideas up
for discussion?