From: vc (vcotirlea_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-25 12:19:48

----- Original Message -----
From: "William E. Kempf" <wekempf_at_[hidden]>

> vc said:
> > As I am having the same problem, I looked a little to the bjam settings,
> > and it seems that, at least when building with VC7.x, the -Wx (warning
> > level) option is
> > not set, that is why probably with bjam these warnings are not seen ...
>
> Hmm... this surprised me. Mr. Maclean indicated the warnings were level 1
> _and_ 2. Builds with bjam do report errors, so the warning level can't be
> 0. MSDN indicates "Level 2 is the default warning level at the command
> line." So I assumed that it must be an RTL issue causing the warnings for
> him. However, experimenting with 'bjam -sTOOLS=vc7
> -sBUILD="<vc7><*><cxxflags>-W2' does indeed produce the warnings in
> question. So it appears that MSDN is wrong, and that level 1 is selected
> if none is supplied? I plan to bump the level up in my own set of bjam
> tool sets.

Yes it seems that in command line by default is W1. If you set the /Wp64
flag (detect 64-bit
portability) you will get warnings level 1 and they can be seen using bjam
without setting the Wx flag.
So, seems that W1 is by default ...

> As for the warnings themselves... I'm still doing more research just to be
> 100% sure, but everything I've found thus far indicates you can ignore
> these warnings as long as you link against the same RTL in both the
> Boost.Threads DLL and the application. After I verify this, I'll remove
> the warnings through the use of pragmas.

So, is it ok if for the boost.thread dll and for the app I will use the /MT
flag (multi-threaded)
instead of /MD (multi-threaded dll) that you are using when building with
bjam?

Viv