From: Rozental, Gennadiy (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-26 16:03:37

> No, I am explicitly saying that if you want to avoid typeinfo maybe
> you should also be forced to compromise and avoid exceptions too. I
> think that would have the least negative impact on the design and I
> like the trade-off it implies.

This trade-in is based on assumption that If I do not want RTTI runtime
overhead I would not want exception one also. But the thing is that I am not
using
lexical_cast in performance critical parts of application and would and
still prefer in most cases exception-based interface without RTTI overhead
that affects whole program.
Almost the only case when I have a need for namely exception-less interface
is the need for the predicate is_lexical_convertible. It more convenient
that lexical cast wrapped in try/catch clauses.

Gennadiy.