From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-03-27 12:34:05

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:00:47 -0500, David Abrahams
<dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> 2) I'm not sure that the choice of the name is ideal. OTOH, I can't think
>> of a better one...
>
>lexicographic?

Indeed. We have an order relation < in X, and use what mathematicians
call lexicographic order induced in X^n by <.

A question worth asking ourselves, I think, is how good are current
compilers at inlining this stuff. I had an application where thousands
of points (coming from a VRML draw) had to be lexicographically
ordered and analyzed. Given the size of the VRML files, that took
generally a whole night on our machines. I don't dare to imagine what
would have happened by implementing operator<() recursively without
compiler optimization.

Genny.