From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-15 02:02:00

Several implementations (like Moshier's Cephes and NR in C++) often use some
sort of polynomial to estimate the functions like the erfs. The inverse
functions mostly use some iterative root finding algorithm. So I am not clear
where the random numbers are needed to evaluate the suggested functions.

Although some functions are easy, others, in particular the incomplete beta are
more tricky and have been the subject of extensive research. There is lots of
scope to balance size of code, complexity, accuracy overall and accuracy at
limits, and speed, not to mention the need for float, double and long double
versions with 32 to 128-bit precisions.

For some functions there will be scope for many different implementations.

Paul

Paul A Bristow, Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
Mobile mailto:pabristow_at_[hidden]
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]