From: Paul A. Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-16 16:20:10

Some measurements have this property (some balance weights for example).

But I think an 'uncertain library' might be derived from the interval library
(and from the SI quantity library too).

(From what I have done on an 'uncertain library' following from the work

// Based on code by Evan Manning (manning_at_[hidden])
// Evan Marshal Manning C/C++ Users Journal, March 1996 page 29 to 38.
// original downloaded from ftp://beowulf.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/manning
// A fuller collection of even fancier classes also given in UReal.h.

My uncertain class has a value, standard deviation, degrees of freedom, and 16
uncertainty type flags - square, triangular, gaussian, exact etc

Depending on the type, for example, one might use the legendary

 Welch-Satterthwaite - see NIST Appendix A3 Appendix B-1.

or some other propagation of uncertainty).

But lets try to walk with the interval library for starters...

Paul

Paul A Bristow, Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 8AB UK
+44 1539 561830 Mobile +44 7714 33 02 04
mailto:pbristow_at_[hidden]

Paul