From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-04-23 17:17:26

David Abrahams wrote:
> "Edward Diener" <eddielee_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> I still feel that a fixed width Unicode encoding has to be an
>> advance over variable width encodings like MBCS for any character
>> set.
>
> I guess that depends on how important random access over the
> characters of a string is to you. To me, it seems like an edge case.

Random access means that the algorithms for string manipulation and
comparison are much easier and faster with fixed width encoding. It's the
tradeoff of size vs. speed again, with speed this time also meaning much
easier and clearer code. I'll go for the latter. I realize that variable
width encodings can save space, but it hardly seems worthwhile to me given
the algorithmic downside and complexity of the former.