From: Tanton Gibbs (thgibbs_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-03 16:15:22

>Justin M. Lewis wrote:
>>Tanton H. Gibbs wrote:
>>>Justin M. Lewis wrote:
> Ummm, so, the suggestion is for me to take proprietary code from work, and
> post it on the internet. I'm not sure that would go over so well.

Yep, that is the suggestion. Often there is a small library that is not
relevant to your work or that doesn't expose any secrets. If there is not,
perhaps you would be willing to take a small boost library and retrofit it
to use this practice. Without seeing it in real code I have a hard time
determining its true usefulness.

> Everyone's opinion aside, I've been using this style in my code, and find
it
> completely unobtrusive. It makes the code more clear at no cost. People
> start using the libraries I write, and the use of my libraries is clear
> throughout the code. As time goes on, and we move into our next project,
> I'll use the idea throughout, and it will make maintenance easier in the
> long run. I only brought it here because I've found it useful myself, and
> thought others might as well. Now, I know some people are interested. I
> know that this will be used where I work, although I can't say to what
> degree yet. I know other programmers outside of work who think it's a
good
> idea, and may end up using it.

This may be completely true, and I hope you continue to support your
library. Also, we have to remember that no library is universally loved:
you will always have proponents and detractors for every piece of code.
Secondly, most people are neither proponents nor detractors until they see a
full example. If you want your library in boost, I would strongly recommend
finding a decent sized example and letting us have a look. I realize there
are obvious obstacles, but there are obstacles for everything we do.

Good luck!
Tanton