From: Andrew J. P. Maclean (a.maclean_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-21 18:47:43

You also need the full set of homogeneous transforms.
This is essential in performing perspective transforms and also
simplifies working with affine transforms and helps to clearly
distinguish between points and vectors. A point has 1 as the forth
coordinate and a vector has 0. In fact this can be generalised to:
"A n-dimensional point has 1 as the (n+1)th coordinate and a vector has
0 as the (n+1)th coordinate."

This makes handling of affine transformations easy.

As a first cut you would need:

1. Rx,Ry,Rz - rotations about the x,y,z axes - probably better to use
either 1,2,3 for first second and third coordinate?
1a - IMPORTANT: From an arbitrary rotation matrix determine the specific
axis and angle about which the rotation occurs. It is actually
surprisingly easy to do.
2. Right-Handed<->Left-Handed coordinate system conversion.
3. Perspective projection of (x,y,z) onto the projection plane at z=d.
Only applies in the special case when the center of projection is at the
origin.
4. Perspective projection of (x,y,z) onto the projection plane at z=0,
center of projection at z=-d. Only applies in the special case when the
center of projection is at the (0,0,-d).
5. Orthographic projection of (x,y,z). Only applies in the special case
when the direction of projection is parallel to the z-axis.
6. General projection of (x,y,z). The center of projection is a distance
Q from the point (0, 0, zp), the direction to the center of projection
is given by the normalised direction vector (dx, dy, dz).

Check out:
   "Computer Graphics using Open GL" F.S. Hill Prentice Hall
   "Computer Graphics Principles and Practise in C", Foley et.al.
Addison Wesley

Andrew

Andrew J. P. Maclean

Centre for Autonomous Systems