From: Reece Dunn (msclrhd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-05-25 12:37:43

This is a major revision to my I/O formatting library. I have provided
several test programs, that test various facilities of the library; the
examples that I previously supplied have not been reworked or tested under
the new version - I will do this soon.

The library has been successfully tested on:
* MS VC++7.0
* Borland C++Compiler 5.5+SP2
* GCC 3.2.2

A basic run-down of the new facilities:
[1] greater portability
[2] leaner, cleaner code
[3] support for std::basic_string format_traits defaults
[4] open/close formatter and associated wrapped_output
[5] removed space options in the formatter, as this is redundant with the
use of string types (C-style or C++-style)
[6] made 'char *' the default format type instead of 'char'
[7] made pair types (pair_output; static_nary_output) use '(' and ')' as
open/close defaults
[8] made the generators for the basic types more consistent:
   [output-type]fmt() -- default outputter construction
   [output-type]fmtex< FormatType >() -- allow you to specify the format
type
   [output-type]fmtout( const Outputter & ) -- custom outputter
[9] automatic outputter deduction for compilers that support it (currently
only GCC; should work on VC7.1, but I don't have access to this at the
moment).
[10] formatlist manipulator is not available - use formatob instead

Does anyone have any comments regarding using the new version as opposed to
the old one?

Regards,
Reece