From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-06-21 00:00:30

John Maddock wrote:

>> Another note is on usability. Say I create directory "po" and find that
> some
>> files are missing. I tweak bcp source and try again. But attempt to
> override
>> files fail. I remove "po" directory. But then "bcp" says the destination
> does
>> not exist. It's a bit inconvenient --- maybe destination directory should
> be
>> created if it does not exist. Or maybe, there should be --overwrite
> switch,
>> which would simply clean up destination before doing copies.
>
> Or maybe it should just go ahead and overwrite, should be easy to fix.

Except for one problem. If the second run of "bcp" selects less files than
the first, and you only ovewrite files, not clean up the entire directory,
the number of files will not be reduced. Uncessasary ones will just lay in
the directory.

>> And the last note:
>>
>> bcp --boost=/home/ghost/Work/boost boost/function/function1.hpp
> function1
>>
>> creates a tree of 1975 kbytes. Hmm, never though there's that many
>> dependencies...
>
> Hmm, it seems to pull in more of type_traits than I would have expected,
> and that pulls in part of mpl, and then a whole load of the preprocessor
> library. I don't think any given compiler will include half of that, but
> which half depends upon which compiler...

:-(
I start to understand why Gennadiy Rozental was saying that dependency from
program_options to function is a bit too much --- don't feel all that good
about adding 2Megs just for command line parsing. Of course, this only
matters when packaging library separately.

- Volodya