From: Brock Peabody (brock.peabody_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-08 09:19:11

[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]]
> On Behalf Of Philippe A. Bouchard
> Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 7:54 AM
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: [boost] Re: Re: UI++ [was: GUI sublanguage; Re: Re: Re: Re:
> GUI/GDI template library]
>
> Brock Peabody wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > No and no. It actually only works on MSVC 6 because that is what we
> > use
> > at work - until next week. I can't wait! I took the library from
> > work
> > code and put it out there just so people could toy with the syntax a
> > little.
>
> In theory, would it be possible to easily port it to another compiler?
> I have Visual Studio 7 but not everybody has it.

Yes, In fact at we (as in me) are switching everything at work to VC 7.1
next week. Maybe this weekend I can get the example done. The only
reason it won't work now is because of missing typenames.

> > The interface example is in "boost_gui_test/dialog.cpp".
> >
> > In the example code I support combinations of row(), column(),
> > group(), static text, and edit(), and date_time().
>
> Maybe we could start be taking a portable paint device; rectangles,
fonts,
> frames & events and we could mix your code to it portably.

I really think we'll want to start from scratch as far as my code is
concerned. We might want to reuse some of it, but probably not much
except for ideas. I'm excited to see what sort of interface we can come
up with.

>We could then
> implement groups, line edits, ..., Excel ;)

Hehe. Actually, I think we should start out at 'line edit', button,
etc... Painting is something we can include in a later iteration of our
design, but it's too low level.

> I suggest taking maybe some classes of WxWindows or Qt for basic
portable
> [x1, y1, x2, y2] paint devices. This would be a beginning.

I'm sure we could learn something at least.

Regards,
Brock