From: Paul Hamilton (paul_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-08-17 12:54:59

> There's more to it than just creating something that can render UI
> elements from XML stream.

XMLUI is a lot more than this. For one thing it's optimized for
animation (sort of like flash) so that interfaces are purely widgetless
(as I mentioned earlier).

XUL (which is actually a language, you could implement an XUL player
using XMLUI) lacks a lot of basic concepts necessary to support the
types of UI's that XMLUI can do.

> To be truly successful you need a UI editor
> that can generate the XML stream.
> And creating such an editor is probably less than trivial.

Just like XUL, the XMLUI Editor uses XMLUI, so each time you add a new
component you also get to have it in the GUI. that part of it pretty
much exists, but running on Windows in a "non open source" capacity.

> So I think it would be better to focus on
> one goal rather than multiple. I think timing will be more critical now
> than creating alternatives.

My current goal is to take a large body of work that I have built over
many years and make it available as an open source project. The reason
i thought it might be interesting for the Boost group was that in
moving it to OSS I was investing in using Boost for most of the code.

I don't really want to go in to too much of an argument on this list
about the difference between XUL and XMLUI. I have a ways to go before
XMLUI is open source anyway, so it's all academic anyway. At some point
I'll create a project

I just wanted to let the list know that I was working on it.

Paul Hamilton
pHamtec P/L - Software Makers
http://www.phamtec.com/
mailto:paul_at_[hidden]