From: Reid Sweatman (drunkardswalk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-10 00:29:30

Since it's already top-posted, I'll keep it that way, or it'll really get
confusing. I think I'm a little more clear on what you're talking about,
but still not sure. Okay, no external device, just software. But not a
pseudo-random number generator (PRNG), i.e., one that, given the same
starting state, always produces the same sequence of numbers, right? To do
that, you *have* to have some source of entropy, and you've just said, it's
not hardware. That seems to leave something like Schneier's Yarrow, right?
Or am I still missing something? There was a thread on the topic some
little while ago that should turn up in the archives. As I recall, I
proposed including Yarrow, and others raised some pretty good points in
rebuttal, so it never happened. Is this the kind of thing you're talking
about? Using various mensurable things on the computer, such as timing
variations between keystrokes, variations in network response times, the
contents of various machine registers and memory locations at particular
times (many ways to vary when they're read), to feed an "entropy pool,"
which is churned continuously and tapped as needed? This is the basic idea
behind Yarrow, the original paper on which should still be available at
www.counterpane.com. Or am I misunderstanding you still? I'm confused in
that you say you're "not using noise when creating." There *must* be some
source of entropy, of randomness, since, as you noted, any purely software
algorithm is completely deterministic. (Incidentally, reproducibility of a
"random" stream is a plus in some kinds of application).

Reid