From: Reid Sweatman (drunkardswalk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-09-11 07:35:00

Okay, then you *are* doing something like Yarrow. Have you read that paper?
I always liked the idea myself, and I'm sure someone here will jump in to
remind me why no one else did <g>. On a side note, I had an interesting
conversation with one of AMD's design people a couple of years back where I
suggested that they implement a white noise generator with an opcode to
sample it right on the CPU silicon. I don't think it had occurred to them
before that, and, of course, they said it would go on the wish list, but I'm
guessing it got thirty-filed right away. Still, it would be a nice thing to
have, and arguably more useful than lots of the things they waste opcode
space on.

Anyway, I seem to be the only one responding, at least on the list. I like
the idea, especially if it can be faired into the existing random module
cleanly. One last question: since so many of the good sources of entropy
on a machine are platform-dependent, how are you addressing cross-platform
portability? And with that, I'll bow out of the thread and make room for
others to get a word in edgewise.

Reid Sweatman