From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-16 02:53:41

David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> David Richardson wrote:
>

>> * Does not do type promotion when underlying numeric types are
>> different. Does anyone know of existing code to do this other then what
>> is in Generative Programming/GMCL?
>
> I suggest searching for recent postings by Joel de Guzman. He seems to
> have worked out the ultimate scheme (within the current language
> constraints, anyway).

Although many don't realize it, this issue of type promotion comes up frequently.
It seems that there is sufficient interest to have a type promotion/deduction utility in
boost. The code is already in the sand-box (boost/utility/type_deduction.hpp and
a corresponding test driver, libs/utility/type_deduction_tests.cpp ). It requires
the currentlly being reviewed enable_if utility.

It seems worthwhile to actually go for a library proposal. Do you guys think that
the utility is a good candidate for a fast-track review? It's a simple, single header
file. What are the procedures for a fast-track review? I'd like to hear your comments.
If it's a worthwhile addition to the boost/utilities, I'll go forward with documentation
and a review request.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman