From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-16 19:32:07

At 06:29 PM 10/16/2003, Ross MacGregor wrote:

>Now the logical place to put this would be <boost/algorithm> wouldn't
>it? I was hoping to simply append this to an existing boost library, but
>it looks like it would require a new one.
>
>Would anyone be against having an algorithm library, especially one that
>had only one algorithm for now? Are there really no other useful
>algorithms that the STL missed?

There are a couple of other algorithm oriented libraries in the
boost-sandbox CVS in directories libs/sequence_algo and libs/string_algo.
There is also a libs/linear_sort.

Perhaps we should have boost/algorithm and libs/algorithm directories.
boost/algorithm would could eventually contain headers like
partial_random_shuffle.hpp, linear_sort.hpp, and string.hpp.

Likewise, libs/algorithm would have sub-directories partial_random_shuffle,
linear_sort, and string. Each of these sub-directories would contain the
usual doc, example, test directories. Or if the library is really small,
just the files themselves.

That way we have a coherent organization for smallish algorithm libraries
even though development is a separate effort for each library.

--Beman