From: Mickael Pointier (mpointie_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-22 11:09:11

Pavel Vozenilek wrote:
> I vote to include string_algos into Boost.
>
> Few issues that may get considered:
>
> 1. Usual order of function parameters is "in, in-out, out".
>
> Many functions here have "out" parameters first. This is error
> prone and there's no way to check it automatically.
> [...]

Homogeneity in an interface is important, that's right.

I just would like to know what you exactly meant by "usual order of function
parameters is "in, in-out, out"" ?

I was thinking exactly the opposite, I'm used to use functions that
manipulate strings, filenames, memory, ... and they often have the
destination as a first parameter, followed by the source(s). I suppose it
originates from variable argument number functions like the printf family
that obviously create a single destination string by concatenating/parsing a
list of arguments.

Things like "cout" follow the same logic, and operators (a=b+c) also have
this right to left direction :)

    Mickael Pointier

PS: I may be totaly missing your point, I admit I have not the time to read
all the mails of the list.