From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-10-27 06:28:24

>I think that boost/config/auto_link.hpp should undef symbols that could've
>been defined outside of
>#if defined(_MSC_VER) || defined(__BORLANDC__)

Yep, will do.

> 1. BOOST_LIB_NAME should be in quotes.
> Why? First of all it was not clear from the description and in a first run
> got very unclear warning instead what should it be. And second of all why
> can't this header add them if not present?

I don't know is that possible - I can't think of a way in which the
preprocessor can detect that - the usage section does say:

Before including this header you must one or more of define the following
macros:

BOOST_LIB_NAME: Required: A string containing the basename of the
library,
                      for example "boost_regex".

> 2. lib prefix
> What is a rationale for lib prefix for static libraries? First of all of
> looks excessive since suffix is lib anyway. Second - dll is also library
and
> finally why not use suffix schema similar to other options

Good question, it's just the way in which bjam has always done it, so that's
the format used in the header as well.

> 3. boost prefix
> Why couldn't this header add the boost prefix itself. After all it seems
> that there was an agreement that all the libraries should begin with
boost?

It could, it just felt more "generic" doing it this way.

> 4. Toolset usage
> Now finally how should I define my toolset to select proper name of the
> library depends on all these options. Shouldn't we have similar "shortcut"
> in boost build that just allow me to say: link regex library and proper
name
> will be chosen automatically?

Yes, but you'll have to ask the Boost.Build guys about that.

One final point: as soon as I can find the time I need to rewrite this
header to match what Rene's new Boost.Install code is going to do. Oh and
have some more docs on the way....

John.