From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-11-05 15:15:49

At 01:41 PM 11/5/2003, Mat Marcus wrote:

>--On Wednesday, November 05, 2003 11:44 AM -0600 "David B. Held"
><dheld_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> I was under the impression that the TR was for library proposals,
>> and once it was closed, that's it for this version of C++. But
>> now you're saying that there's other things going on, so an
>> overview of where things go now would be nice.
>>

>The TR is essentially a set of library proposals that are
>implementable against C++ 98/03. The TR is now closed. But we are also
>working hard at extending C++. The result of this effort will become
>C++ 200x (2007/8?). In C++ '0x there will be core language extensions
>(Maybe, concepts, template aliases, variadic templates, etc.) in
>addition to library enhancements. This page has some links discussing
>the scope of the TR. There will probably be more information about the
>evolution activities in the post Kona mailing.

Here is another way to think about it: the LWG and committee is committed
to a continuing process of introducing new standard library components.
Like other software, the new library components get batched up into
releases.

Library TR One release content has been frozen, and it is now in a one-year
long process of testing and refinement. Target release date one year from
now.

Other library releases are being worked on in parallel. Their release dates
haven't been set yet.

--Beman