From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2003-12-31 15:01:09

I thought the following may be of interest to MSVC based developers here.
Does anyone have experience with the TortoiseCVS.org?

-----------------
Jeff Flinn
Applied Dynamics, International

The big difference between SS and CVS is: CVS is free.
The main usability difference is: in CVS, you never really check-out
anything (everyone always has everything "checked out"). After you have
made changes, you Update your version from the repository, and then
rebuild/test, and finally commit your changes to the repository.

If you are looking for a free version control system, CVS is great.
The down-side is: Setting up a CVS-server is complicated.
The alternative is (If you are a small group of developers): Map a common
drive, and place the repository on a network drive (No server required).
Note: This doesn't allow programmers to work at-home, or over the internet.
If you are interested, you can check into a site called "freepository".
They host a free CVS repository. It is very secure. It is somewhat
complicated to get working.
https://www.freepository.com (Note the https)

If you are going to use CVS, I would recommend checking out TortoiseCVS (A
Windows "plugin"). It is VERY easy to use. There really isn't any "VS
Integration", but since it is integrated into the Windows Open Dialog, you
don't need any integration.
http://www.tortoisecvs.org

DanB