From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-02 10:42:14

Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:

> >> Those libraries handle their own testing.
> >
> >That's a strange way of putting it. _People_ run tests on those
> >libraries.
>
> Sorry, it wasn't phrased very well.
>
> > Luckily some of the people running Boost's regression
> >tests run those tests too. It seems wrong to me that they should be
> >left out of the default testing regime, which is run on many more
> >compilers than the authors/maintainers of those libraries can possibly
> >test directly.
>
> Yes.
>
> I think we need a major upgrade to our testing infrastructure. I'd
> like to see a machine (perhaps running both Win XP and Linux using a
> virtual machine manager) constantly running Boost regression
> tests. The tests should be segmented into sets, including an
> "everything we've got set", with some sets running more often than
> others. As previously discussed, one set should be a "quicky test"
> that runs very often, and that developers can temporarily add a test
> to that they are concerned about.
>
> I can round-up a donation of a nice modern machine to run the tests
> on. That isn't hard when powerful boxes go for $1,000 or less. But I
> can't host here because I only have a metered ISDN Internet
> connection. So we would need a volunteer for that. Again, we can
> probably find someone.
>
> The key volunteers needed would be people who are comfortable setting
> up and remote administering such a test setup. More than one would be
> needed so that no one person becomes a bottleneck.
>
> Am I dreaming, or is this something we should actively persue?

I think we should use The BuildBot (http://buildbot.sf.net). That way
testing load can be distributed all over the world and can send people
annoying emails when they break the build. I'm not sure it should be
neccessary to segment the tests if we do this right.

Brian, are you ready to help Boost get started with BuildBot?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting