From: Stefan Slapeta (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-18 05:49:54

Michael Glassford wrote:
> It is no longer supported: the tss class requires Boost.Thread to be
> in a dll to be able to clean up after itself properly (i.e. to prevent
> leaks). It would be possible to build a version that doesn't include
> support for this, but in a future version of Boost.Thread (currently
> in the thread_dev branch of CVS), I believe several new features
> depend on this support being available so it may not be worthwhile to
> do so.

There's one more big "surprise": the need for the shared runtime
libraries! I'm very frustrated at the moment because I don't know which
strategy to choose for boost.thread at all:

- IMO, it's not a 'little fish' to change the runtime libraries of all
projects that use Boost.Thread. This and the necessity to ship an
additional boost.thread dll is, at least for me and our company, at the
moment an absolute showstopper for moving to a future release of boost!
It is not easy to explain the costs for deploying the shared runtime
library on some thousand machines.
Personally, I'm very disappointed as it seems to be possible in boost,
that a whole library becomes unusable for me in a future release. [Not
the best example of backward compatibility!]

- There is NO WORD about that in the whole documentation. If there is
one, you hid it very well! What is even worse: there is no word about
ANY CHANGES in boost thread in the release notes!

Sorry for this critisism. I know about all your efforts and appreciate
them very much. This time it seems that the need for new functionality
broke too much of existing code for my taste!

br, Stefan