From: Daniel Frey (daniel.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-25 05:27:21

David Abrahams wrote:
> Daniel Frey <daniel.frey_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>>Providing the implementation for next/prior in the documentation might
>>be sufficient for the one-argument-version, but for the two argument
>>version it's quite hard to help getting the implementation bug-free if
>>I don't know what you intended. Can you write down original intent,
>>please?
>
> Well, you came up with the 2-arg version.

That was Daniel Wallin (too many Daniels error?). I guess this also
explains why I had the feeling we were talking past each other a bit :)

> I can only say that the
> original intent of the 1-arg versions was to operate on anything
> supporting prefix ++/--, respectively. If the 2-arg version won't do
> that, I guess we should change the name.

OK, I understand now that I have to distinguish the 1-arg version from
the 2-arg version.

> Incidentally, it's almost always possible to detect whether the first
> argument supports operator += or operator-=. That might be a good way
> to decide whether to advance/regress it.

If is_iterator yields false, this is good to distinguish the rest, yes.
But the first question is, whether we want to enhance the 2-arg version
of next/prior or if we simply rename them to e.g. advanced/regressed.
I'd be happy with the latter. Comments?

Regards, Daniel

--
Daniel Frey
aixigo AG - financial solutions & technology